Monday, February 14, 2011

...When I Tap Dance, I Get "Astaire" or two

"You journalists, you're too stressed!  You need to get out more and frolic... take up dance!  Who knows, you could be another Gene Astaire."

One of my favorite quotes from the ill-fated, oft-forgotten 80's horromedy Transylvania 6-5000 came true this past weekend: I, a frequently stressed journalist, took up dance (though I do get out a lot, even if frolicking isn't a frequent foible of mine).  And not just any dance: TAP DANCE.

The Mid-Michigan chapter of the United Cerebral Palsy organization held a Dancing with the Stars-esque charity fundraiser and yours truly, in truly the most liberal and local of definitions, was considered "a star" and asked to perform. 

And what a toe-tappin' time it 'twas: 
--3 rehearsals in tap shoes only (my schedule prevented more... you know, all that frolicking)
--2 hours of practice each time I laced 'em up and clicked 'em off
--1 two-minute performance on-stage with no do-overs
--but countless fun and memories to last long after all my shim-shamming, cramp-rolling and scuffle shuffling is kaput!

My routine featured wonderful choreography by Carmen Zavala of the Ruhala Center (I really enjoyed the fact that this rhymed and would often point it out during rehearsals) to Nat King Cole's L-O-V-E.  And yes, we most certainly capitalized on the Valentine's Day holiday sentiments when it came time for audience appreciation (or TapClap as I called it).

But one thing is for sure... I have a new found respect for anyone who puts on tap shoes and makes both music and dance out of them. It's a remarkably challenging feet I one day hope to become even more in-tune with.  Until then, I'm fine with what I've accomplished so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2gmqsndeXo

Hey, they don't call me "Twinkle Toes" for nothing ;-)!  

No comments:

Post a Comment